Today I have put the final touches on my brand guidelines and have committed to printing. I did one test print the other day and thought the ink really worked with the paper I have chosen. The print worked as planned and I used 300 gsm brown paper that I supplied myself and also printed on some 300 gsm white paper for pages that will show lots of information.
I printed out a black and white mock up version to see if the book flowed as I wanted it to. Some of the pages were upside down but this was OK I knew that when I took it to Print Britannia they would be able to amend this.
After printing at Print Britannia I brought my sheets back to uni ready to bind. I did a test run of how I wanted to bind my book using a Japanese binding technique on a scrap newspaper, so I could get the feel for it and make any mistakes now before I go onto the final print outs.
This try out gave me the skills to be more confident before attempting to bind my final piece.
The bind was a half success, the binding worked perfectly and I thought I had done a good job. However when I went to open to book, the card I had chosen was too thick, causing the book to hardly open. I stretched it a bit thinking it would be OK, but this only loosened the binding making it look shabby.
This is fine, I am glad it has happened now, I will correct this tomorrow by purchasing some thinner card. I am safe knowing that I know how to bind the book, now all I have to do is get the right paper for the front and back covers.