I have been developing my logo for John Lewis Swift. I have been producing lots of different outcomes working towards possible final designs.
I first started with the concept of using the letters ‘is’ at the end of Lewis, to creating a sentence: John Lewis ‘is’ Swift. However , as I worked through this and dropped the coloured ‘is’ I found that the designs towards the bottom right were much more simplified which made them stronger.
To focus on the swift element of the name, I thought I could bring in movement and an icon to really communicate the swiftness. However, I quickly found this to be too complicated and quite horrible. However, saying that, I think the bottom right design is some what more successful than the rest, because it is well balanced and it flows, creating movement.
Going back to my first try outs, where the simplified designs were much stronger, I developed a series based on that. I started to feel that I was moving in the right direction at this point. Again the designs at the bottom sparked another possible route to take, with the word swift next to John Lewis instead of being under it.
I created a series based on the swift being at the side. I adjusted my designs ever so slightly throughout and made sure to document what the adjustments actually were.
I chose to redo one, and focus on the tracking throughout the swift. I feel that this is simple but strong. It is well balanced, I think its successful. I need to come away from it for a while and then come back to it, usually that will show me if my it’s good or not.