I am working on my product mock ups today. I’ve created various different mock ups that the brand can be applied to, but now I need to focus on product mock ups.
Referring back to a previous blog of mine, I need to find a more appropriate typeface to accompany the main text WOUP instead of Helvetica. I started to research fonts that read well on a small scale, I came across lots of variations of Helvetica. I now have feedback from the owners of Woup, saying they would like to see more of modern aspect, because their target audience will be young professionals.
I rebound my book today after a visit to, Cowling & Wilcox in Shoreditch, to get thinner card for the front and back cover. Whilst I was there I asked a women if she knew anything about book binding and she claimed to know a little. She in fact new exactly what I wanted showing me how to slice a thin line near the binding to create a fold. She even gave me the card for free!
Today I have put the final touches on my brand guidelines and have committed to printing. I did one test print the other day and thought the ink really worked with the paper I have chosen. The print worked as planned and I used 300 gsm brown paper that I supplied myself and also printed on some 300 gsm white paper for pages that will show lots of information.
I have been developing my brand guidelines for the past week. A critique with Adrian yesterday highlighted how much further I can push each page, by giving advice firstly on how to organise the pagination, so when I come to print I will be prepared. I also need to incorporate text to explain how to use images and colours (even how not to use image and colours).
Exceptionally happy with they way my tester printed out onto the paper I have selected. I had a bit of trouble with the printers at uni AKA they wouldn’t print my thick paper. I took a stroll to Print Britannia in Aldgate, and did a test there. My worries about the colours not appearing the way they I would like them to have gone now. I’m reassured now that I can go ahead and print when my book is ready. Next time I need to save as PDF to prevent the design from becoming pixelated.
Seeing the subtext when it was printed out made me realise that I don’t want to use Helvetica as my subtext, a crit with Adrian confirmed this as well. So I will search for a similar typeface, I still want it to be well structured compared to the main text in WOUP wich has an almost hand rendered feel to it.
Today in the Cinema4D workshop we had a session learning about caustic effects, which is the refraction of light that an object reflects around itself. In around 20 minutes of work we created quite a simple but amazingly realistic ring. I think these workshops have been great because I have got a basic knowledge of a very intimidating package. I hope there is more of these types of workshops next year.
I have just ordered an awl, thread, needles and a bone knife from ebay for a great price. That is due to come in a few days, so that gives me enough time to assemble my pages and get the layout of my book up to scratch. In the mean time I’m researching how to do a Japanese style book bind, so when I come to do it myself, I know what to do. The video I have posted above has made the process seem fairly simple, but we’ll wait and see.