My first try outs were weak and not successful. I was forcing the design to work, when it clearly wasn’t. It was hard but I had to ditch this…again and start over.
I began new research and found an inspiring piece by Anthony Burrill on the creative review.
I then began researching Anthony Burrill further, specifically his yellow and black prints, because I find the striking combination of colours and text to be, both, eye catching and witty.
Working with his designs in mind I began to experiment again.
After this I showed some friends and one said “don’t people tend to read signs vertically?” And I agreed that would be better.
And I thought this read much clearer, due to my typographic approach, which I focused my attention to layout considering how kerning and leading impacts on the way we engage with text, and what is working much more now is I get the full word ‘step’.
To give the poster a letter-press effect, I took it into Photoshop and edited the design further.
I am much happier with this route, I am now working on the subtext for this design.
I am having much more creative ideas with regards to brand application. I now understand that, yes it was hard to admit I’d worked myself into a corner, but I am much happier with these designs. I am glad I made those mistakes because otherwise I wouldn’t have made it to this point.